Passage - Copper Hollow Form Brooch (May 2013)

This assignment was memory based, and I chose to reference the intertwined pipes in the passageway between the Homer and Nickerson dorms of the RISD freshman quad. I lived in Nickerson, and would walk through this passage nearly every day to meet my friends in the Homer 2 workrooms. Also, being a climber, the pipes throughout the quad were hard to resist for a few quick pull ups or just goofing off.

Soldering such a large piece proved to be problematic, and I resorted to soldering one seam at a time (34 total plus 3 for pinback). Basing my design on the arrangement of the pipes, with modified angles to fit the shoulder, I constructed the brooch in three pieces. I then cut and filed the compound miters and constructed a jig to support the legs while I soldered them together.

Materials: 18 gauge copper sheet, silver solder, stainless steel pinback

Photo Credit: Jonah Willcox-Healey (brooch pictures) and Mary Boyle (fisheye photograph)

Completed my first six string electric guitar for my dad over winter break! I missed christmas by a few days, but he was thrilled nonetheless.

In hindsight, I think the design resembles PRS guitars too closely, and would like to continue tweaking it and making it my own. I have already started a second and third with the same templates, but will be modifying the shape before making more.

Materials: spalted maple carved top and back over hollowed out african mahogany core (all are one piece). Wenge neck with rosewood fingerboard, unbleached bone nut.

Seymour Duncan ‘59 neck and bridge humbuckers with volume, tone and 5 way switch for split-coil tones in positions 2 and 4. Tone Pros AVII wraparound bridge, generic locking tuners, Schaller strap locks.

Photo Credit: Jonah Willcox-Healey

ISP Ergonomic Bass

Completed December 2012 as part of an Independent Study Project with Yuri Kobayashi (

Aside from being a visual statement, the angular body shape is designed to keep the neck at a higher angle and give extra forearm support. Bent aluminum housings for electronics provide added shielding and streamline the aesthetic. As all the excess wood was removed from the treble side of the body, the volume and tone controls were moved to the bass side near the neck. This also allowed for a fifth bolt in the electronics cavity, affixing the neck to the side of the single cutaway pocket for proper alignment. The back of the bass was carved to hug the hip and ribcage.

Although I have been busy with other projects, I have now come back to this design and think it has potential. I would like to keep tweaking the lower bout and forearm area in future iterations.

Materials: alder body with curly maple top (stained black), padauk and rosewood three piece neck, aluminum housings.

Wilkinson MWM4C pickup, generic tuners and single saddle bridge, Schaller strap locks, Ernie Ball cobalt strings

Photo Credit: Jonah Willcox-Healey

A shot of my guitars at the 2013 RISD Industrial Design Senior Show and a taste of the AS SEEN IN ID add campaign! Find more at

Trays ready for use at Exposé (Dinner for Ten) and Woods Gerry Gallery (ID Senior Show). The holes were designed to fit the cast iron candle sticks and/or other decorations. Unfortunately, the plans I was given had the parallelogram table arranged in the other direction, so my trays could not be laid out the way they were originally intended.

Table and plates by Gracie Canaan (, candle sticks and napkin rings by Matt Cavallaro (

This is a brief explanation of my process for making dished wooden dinning trays using a duro pin router. I made these trays for the Dinner For Ten collaborative project, which was conceived of and orchestrated by RISD Industrial Design Student Gracie Canaan ( Two dinners were served on the trays before the gallery opening at the student run Exposé gallery on the second floor of 204 Westminster St. (

The trays were later used to serve food at the RISD Industrial Design Senior Show, where three of my guitars were also displayed.

* Safety Concerns!

This was one of the first projects I made using my pin router (I had used inverted models before), and was still getting a feel for the machine. Before routing the rest of the trays I made an acrylic shield that went around the bit to collect dust and prevent my hands from getting too close. Be careful!

The 4th bass is complete as of November 2013!

Materials: buckeye burl top with natural f-holes, birdseye maple fingerboard, ash body and neck, walnut accent veneer and extra large side dots. Semigloss nitrocellulose lacquer finish. Brass nut and backplate.

Seymour Duncan phase II passive soapbar, Gotoh tuners, Schaller roller bridge, Shcaller strap locks, EVO fretwire, Aurora strings

Chair Studio bent ply chair. This was 90% there at yesterdays crit, I still have to tweak the hardware and touch up the frame.

Tubular steel frame with walnut end caps and spacers, Bent plywood panels with white leather (front) and walnut burl veneer (back).

AD 534 Bass #4 is getting close! Buckeye burl top, swamp ash hollowbody, ash neck and beautiful birdseye maple fingerboard. Gold hardware and fretwire. Single passive soapbar pickup.

Looks good! Now for the fret dressing, nut (brass) and wiring. Then, the best part, strings and a play test. I am expecting great things from this one.

Making progress on the ISP bass! Basswood body with cherry laminate and 5 piece curly maple top. Neck is padauk with rosewood center laminate.

The cavity near the neck is for the electronics, there will be another near the bridge for an input jack. Electronics will consist of a single bartolini MM style humbucker with volume and tone knobs near the neck.

* Update November 2013

After experimenting with the ergonomics, I decided to make another body in which the angles were tweaked and fewer laminations were used. Also, as the focus of the project is on ergonomics, I decided to use a less expensive Wilkinson pickup.